Daily Gleaner, December 28, 1915
The Services Held in the Various Churches on Christmas Day
AT VICTORIA MARKET.
Garden Party on Christmas Day, and Similar Functions Yesterday
The Christmas mid-night Pontifical High Mass at Holy Trinity Cathedral was as in former years, up to a high standard. Due perhaps to the rain which fell in the afternoon, there was not that rush which has characterised the attendance at this mass in past years, but the big Cathedral was comfortably crowded. Mercadante’s Mass was sung, His Lordship Bishop Collins being the celebrant, Very Rev. Father O’Hare, deacon; Father Howle, sub-deacon; Father Harpes, assistant priest; and Father Keller, master of ceremonies.
SERVICES IN THE CHURCHES.
According to announcements, Christmas services were held in the various Churches in the city. They were all ell attended, the ardent worshippers entering whole-heartedly into the musical celebrations. Indeed, many availed themselves of the opportunities offered of mixing spiritual with social enjoyment.
How Kingston Spent The Season.
Christmas 1915 has come and gone, and notwithstanding the depression due to the war which has been so much felt during the year, the season has been an enjoyable one.
From early in the week the trains commenced to bring in the country folks who were coming to the city to pass the holidays and although the shopping crowd in King Street did not seem as large as those of past years, yet everything considered, the stores did a good business.
On Friday afternoon a sudden shower of rain threatened to dispose of the Christmas eve outing, but by 8 o‘clock at night, King Street was busy with a throng of human beings. The rain had served to cool the atmosphere and allay the dust, and made promenading in King Street more pleasant, and the hosts of holiday makers enjoyed themselves right heartily.
The drug stores were as usual, the chief centres of attraction, the drinks from the soda water fountains being very much in demand.
Several of the stores were illuminated. Of these the Sports, and Fisher’s stood out prominently, whilst the show windows of the Jewellery King, resplendent with gold and silver, made a fine show.
The crowds promenaded until sometime after ten o’clock when all was quiet again to await the dawn of Christmas Day.
The Victoria Market was, as usual, the Mecca of the crowd which did not at any time come near the size of the crowds of former years. In fact it was the smallest Christmas crowd the writer has seen, and there was a distinct decrease in the noise of fee-fees and horns.
A heterogeneous brass band, led by Mr. Lackland Hardy, carried a large crowd to the market, where the band held forth and old men and maidens, young men, and children joined in the merry making.
There were only a couple of toy stalls in the market, and these found no difficulty in disposing of their stock. Even the toy stores in King street ran short of certain lines of toys quite early in the morning.
Christmas market ended at 10 o’clock when after seeing the sights and satisfying themselves, the crowd once again wended their way homewards to come out once more at night in numbers, some bound for the moving picture theatres, others for the garden party, and many more to enjoy a ride on the tram cars.