Bumper Hall Infectious Diseases Hospital, 1895-1952
Pressure for the establishment of an infectious disease, or isolation, hospital for Kingston and St Andrew had been growing -
Daily Gleaner, October 28, 1891
The Colonial Secretary has sanctioned the payment from the sanitary fund of £934 19s, 7d for the purchase of Bumper Hall Pen.
Daily Gleaner, October 29, 1891
A letter was read from the Colonial Secretary sanctioning the Loan of £934 19 7 for the purchase of the Bumper Hall Pen, to be utilised for an Infections Diseases Hospital. A letter was also read from the Registrar of the Supreme Court raising certain legal points as to the purchase of the land.
The letter was referred to the Council's advocate.
- an early description . . . .
Daily Gleaner, October 14, 1895
BUMPER HALL HOSPITAL.
The new Infectious Diseases' Hospital buildings at Bumper Hall pen on the Spanish Town Road are being erected by the well known firm of Messrs Laing, Lothian and Dunbar who secured the contract at £2,030 15s. Work was only commenced on the 24th August, but already most satisfactory progress has been made and there is every probability of the buildings being completed well within the contract time namely six months. There are four pavilions each 80 feet long by 24 feet wide They are constructed on pillars of concrete and brick work arches the flooring being nine feet from the ground. The rooms themselves will be twenty feet in height from floor to ceiling and are frame buildings of pitch pine and clinker boards. The space underneath the pavilions will be concreted and so arranged that convalescent patients can find a nicely shaded and sheltered promenade. The pavilions form two parallel lines with a space of 25 feet between the ends of each pair and of 40 feet across. In the centre will be erected bath rooms closets, &c. access to which will be gained by covered corridors from each of the wards. At the time of our representative's visit on Saturday the brick work of three of the pavilions had been completed and the frame work was up on two. The bricks used have been supplied by Mr. Thorborn of the Doncaster Bricks Works who has lately introduced machinery for the making of a superior quality of pressed brick. The specimens used are well burnt of good shape and the brickwork throughout has an exceptionally fine appearance. It is hoped to get on the roof of two of the wards next week. The situation of the hospital appears to be an admirable one but we should think its salubrity would be improved by the removal of the thick bush surrounding the place.
Daily Gleaner, October 12, 1943
AFTER FIRE AT BUMPER HALL
Sunday night's fire at the Corporation's Hospital, Bumper Hall, did damage to the extent of a few thousand pounds. A ward, attendance [attendants'?] quarters and kitchen were destroyed.
The damage done to the ward, attendance [attendants'?] quarters and a kitchen at the Corporation Hospital at Bumper Hall on Sunday night last will run into a few thousand pounds. It is understood, however, that the Corporation carried insurance on the building, but to what extent is not yet definitely known.
According to the Fire Brigade when they arrived on the scene the water supply on the compound was very poor. It was not until the Merryweather Pump was put into operation that the pressure was improved.
The fire was first discovered at the southern end of the ward in which were housed a number of patients.
The police after making investigations during the lire, arrested five inmates of the institution on a charge of arson.
The quarters at Bumper Hall which were formally [formerly?] occupied by the Superintendent of the May Pen Cemetery, Mr. Phillip S. Harrison, is now temporarily used as a ward to accommodate the Inmates.
This decision, was taken by Councillor Dr. E. E. Penso, Chairman of the Poor Relief Committee of the Corporation who arrived at the spot within a quarter of an hour after the Fire Brigade was summoned.
The names of the men arrested are William Milligan, Thaddeus Hylton, Edward Pearson, Allan Morris and Stanley Smith. The arrests were effected by Special District Constable Ferris of the Kingston and St. Andrew Corporation.
At the meeting of the Council of the Kingston and St. Andrew Corporation yesterday a discussion took place on the fire.
The Town Clerk read a report which he had prepared regarding the fire, having arrived on the scene during its progress, accompanied by Dr. Cruchley, the Medical Officer of Health. The Town Clerk, in the report, gave details of the damage done.
The Council agreed to make representations to the Government on the matter.
but, so far, no account of how, when - or if - the demolition actually took place -